From:
Eve Tang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 14:37:10 EST
Dear Colleagues,

I'm a map librarian at the National Library of Estonia (NLE), and I'm
quite new on the MAPS-L list.
The cartographic collection of the NLE is the most complete depository of
printed maps and atlases available at the moment to the general public in
Estonia.It consists of over 10,000 maps and atlases with an emphazis on
Estonia and the Baltics. We are also trying to collect foreign maps
representing countries all around the world for our reference map collection.

The reason why I'm bothering you is that we don't have many recent maps
of the U.S.A. in our collection yet.
What's the best way to get maps of the U.S.? Cheaply, is it possible to
get maps directly from USGS? We're usually obliged to purchase our maps
directly from bookstores here in Estonia. But maybe it's possible to
acquire maps more efficiently and cheaply from the U.S. I have also heard
that there are a large number of free maps available.
Our readers are usually interested in general maps - road maps, tourist maps,
etc., and city maps.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me more information about
map sources. If anyone actually has any maps they'd like to donate to the
NLE, it would be very much appreciated. The address is:

Cartography Section of Fine Arts Department
National Library of Estonia
Tonismagi 2
Tallinn EE0100
Estonia