From:
THOEN WILLIAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1993 20:17:21 EDT
Have you seen the file internet.resources.earth.sci available via ftp to
csn.org in the COGS directory?  This was my first attempt to do something
like what you are proposing.  It's old and some of it is out of date, but
if you haven't seen it yet, I think you'll find it useful.

You also might want to check through the space newsgroup.  I forget the
exact name of it, but the FAQ has some good sources.  Also the graphics
people (comp.graphics) occaisionally reference a map data set. Same is true
for sci.geo.meteorology.  All of these produce FAQs that make it to
news.answers each month.

I run a GIS-oriented BBS now, and try very hard to concentrate any and all
things related to GIS and mapping that I can find. It's called GISnet BBS
and it can be reached via modem at (303) 447-0927 (1200/2400/9600 baud). I
ave plenty of data sets, sharware, or pointers to them all there. I don't
have direct ftp or telnet access yet, but I do have a domain name, and you
reach for more info at [log in to unmask]

Hope this helps!

- Bill Thoen