From:
Christopher Thiry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2022 17:41:52 +0000
Hello all,

I am doing research on some 1930s General Drafting maps featuring Santa Claus.  Currently I am in the process of identifying and classifying each of the cartographic elements on the map.  I am having a very difficult time identifying and classifying 1 element and I have a question about another.
[cid:d2c8c677-aae5-42a3-9587-9bf0aa603f1d]

What is Santa doing with the 2 sticks in the left part of this image of Indiana?  There is a string attaching the 2 sticks at the top.  He appears to be picking up 2 things & placing them in a box.  I do not know what the things are.
Keep in mind that this from 1930 AND the activities on the map are tied to the places, so whatever Santa is doing, it is common enough in Indiana that people would know what it is.

The second part is the right part of the image.  Clearly Santa is sitting at a desk on a stool.  He is using a pen (inkwell on desk) to write with his right hand.  But the red exclamation marks about the desk suggest Santa is writing with anger or at least with strong words.  Who is this an homage to?  Was there in 1930 in Indiana a stern, forceful writer who was nationally know?

Many thanks!

Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map & GIS Librarian
Academic Outreach Coordinator