From:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2012 09:06:28 -0500
Subject: Re: 2 basic cataloging questions
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:04:54 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paige G Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Jon,

The distinction lies in what is the primary material resource type on
the CD or DVD. If its primarily data used to create cartographic images
then you'd start with electronic resource template, if it contains
actual map images in whole or in large part then start with the
cartographic materials template. I know there is a lot of fuzziness with
this, but the key thing is to ascertain the content of the CD or DVD
first and then chose the bib. record type to fill out. There is a good
LC G&M-produced document that might be helpful, found here:

http://www.loc.gov/marc/cfmap.html

hope this helps!

Paige