From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 16:14:50 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:07:23 -0500
From: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Cartifacts
Sender: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>

on various cartifacts:

NECKTIES:
Civitas makes city map neckties for several cities around the world
that are quite nice. See http://www.citytie.com/

TEE SHIRTS:
I collect these informally. Amongst my favorites are a Maine map I
got visiting LL Bean in Freeport, ME years ago. It and the New Jersey
map tee I got at the gift shop on th NJ Turnpike have since
disappeared, more's the pity.

I got a very nice reproduction of the entire New York Subway map on a
T shirt at the NY City Transit Museum gift shop in Grand Central
Station in April. Not as elegant as the ubiquitous London Tube map
Tee, but a little closer to home...

Jane Crosen ([log in to unmask], but no web site) makes some
wonderful hand-drawn maps of the Maine coast, some with Tshirt
versions, and at least two fictional and very funny maps. I have a
Tee Shirt of her "Reckless Coast" which I have loved to death.

JACKETS:
The tyvek map jackets in question were manufactured mostly by
Interarts, now part of MapQuest. Rand McNally also produced some at
the height of their popularity, but I'm not sure on this.
Interarts/MapQuest still sell world map jackets; try this Google
search for a variety of sources:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=tyvek+map+jacket

DECORATING:
I've seen a variety of Faux Antique world maps as decorating
material: upholstery, wallpaper, etc. I had some as my futon cover
for years, though I must admit over time I found the made-up
cartography disturbing.

SALT SHAKER
We have this Clay Art brand salt-and-pepper set, you see. The salt
shaker is a globe with a self-satisfied face on the front, and little
feet and arms. It stis in the pepper shaker. The pepper shaker is a
dark blue armchair with stars on it. This piece alarms our friends.
It alarms me a little, but it is wonderful...

I've been enjoying the thread. Thanks, all!

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps
--- End Forwarded Message ---