From:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1993 11:42:33 EST
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I have sent to a couple of lists.
Apologies therefore to anyone who has to hit the delete button more than
once :-)

While looking at some vertical air photos recently, I found myself wondering,
as a passing flight of fancy (sorry about the pun), about the history of this
particular medium. Can anyone enlighten me? I am sure that there are some
interesting tales regarding how use of air photos came to be incorporated
into the scientific armoury of geographers and other disciplines.

I do remember coming across mention a number of years ago of a Swiss (I think)
chap called Mittleholzer, or something similar, who I believe was something
of a pioneer of aerial photography. At the time, I was shown a copy of an
antiquarian book, containing photos of the Swiss Alps and other places,
taken by this Mittleholzer or whatever his name was, shot from the cockpit
of a biplane or other early flying machine or other. Can anyone supply any
details about this person - or, even better, can you identify this book from
the very inadequate details that I have just given?

I don't think the book will be in print now but, in the very unlikely off-
chance that anybody reading this actually has a copy (or knows of one) that
may be looking for a new and appreciative owner, I would be interested in
negotiating a possible transfer fee....

Cheers,
Darius Bartlett

| Darius Bartlett,                        Darius Bartlett,                   |
| Department of Geography,                Roinn na Tireolaiochta,            |
| University College,                     Colaiste na hOllscoile,            |
| Cork, Ireland.                          Corcaigh, Eire.                    |
| EARN     : <DJB @ IRUCCVAX.BITNET>     |  Voice: (+353) 21 276871 ext 2835 |
| Internet : <DJB @ IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE>     |  Fax  : (+353) 21 271980          |
| Heanet   : <DJB @ VAX1.UCC.IE>         |  Telex: 76550 UNIC EI             |
| PSI      : <027244054000330::STGG8004> |  Foot : Upstairs and turn left    |
| Lat/long : 51 54 N, 8 30 W             |  Note : "Usual disclaimers apply" |
"Hell is a city much like London" - Shelley.