From:
Eric Theise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2021 13:42:00 -0700
Hi Jon,

Not long ago, with raster tiles and Tilemill, generating MBTiles files
had a similar feel to desktop publishing in the 90s/00s. Working with
vector tiles and Mapbox Studio feels similar but Mapbox hosts the tiles,
making it unsuitable for some applications. Generating your own can be
straightforward or very complicated and rendering times for a deep range of
zoom levels can be prohibitive for individuals working on a desktop. I've
had beefy AWS servers running for days, even weeks, to render tile pyramids.

Verify this on your own, but Andy Allan in the UK comes to mind as a clever
cartographer with vector tile generation in his revenue stream. Colorado
cartographer Gretchen Peterson certainly does a lot of design work in this
area although I'm not sure she herself generates tile bundles; quite
possible, it's been a few years since we've collaborated.

I've done this for paying clients and also for my own experimental
film/real-time cartography work, partly because I can inject data for my
own purposes and partly because I want to reduce tile latency as much as
possible and self-hosting gets you that.

Eric