From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2006 05:59:54 -0500
Subject:        Map grids
Date:   Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:17:01 +1000
From:   Senja Randall <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

A lot of our Australian maps are now published with both coordinates and
grids.  In the MARC bibliographic record we use the 034 and 255 to
record the coordinates and we use the 342 to record the geospatial
reference data.  If a map is only published with the grids we use the
Redfearn formula
http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/datums/redfearn_grid_to_geo.jsp to change
the grid to geographic and then enter this data into the 034 and 255
field.

Has anyone started adding map grid information (i.e. the eastings and
northings of the 4 corners of the map) into a MARC bibliographic record?
We don't believe that the 'i' and 'j' subfields in the 342 field is used
for this purpose.  One of our records has the grid information recorded
in the 255 field, eg.
255   $c (Australian map grid 1984, Zone 55.
5424000mN-5403000mN/503000mE-520000mE) but I'm not sure if this is the
correct field either to be recording this information.

I would also be interested in map cataloguers' views whether this
information should be recorded (as it's not static) and if in the future
we will need to provide access to this data via OPAC geospatial
searching?

Senja Randall
Manager
Maps & Music Unit