From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 15:37:40 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: L.C. versus Dewey
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005
From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>

Mary,

The question of "which classification system is best" for map
collections has been bandied back and forth for some time, one of those
things that rolls around every two or three years. Of course, the
majority of map collections do use the LC G-classification system (as
you hinted at), and thats because of its level of specificity and
hierarchical structure in starting with the world as a whole and
subdividing it down into finer and finer parts. I have long-since
forgotten how Dewey "works" but I remember that it doesn't necessarily
reach down as far as LC does in indicating smaller geographical
locations. Then there are collections that use other classification
systems with success, what comes to mind immediately is the American
Geographical Society map collection at the Univ. of Wisconsin-Milwaukee,
where they still use the use a system built "in house" and a few
collections that use a system called Boggs & Lewis that was developed in
the 1940s.

There's an excellent comparative discourse on a variety of
classification systems, including LC, Dewey, Boggs & Lewis, etc.,
included in the article, "Cataloging Early Atlases: A Reference Source"
written by Lisa Romero and Nancy Romero under the the header of
"Classification" on pages 278-280 of the book Maps and Related
Cartographic Materials: Cataloging, Classification and Bibliographic
Control (initially published as Vol. 27 (1999) of Cataloging &
Classification Quarterly, a special double issue co-edited by Mary
Larsgaard and myself) and in the same publication an entire article
devoted to classification of maps and atlases using LC G titled
"Navigating the G Schedule" by Susan Moore (pp. 375-384).

I would be remiss in not pointing out Mary Larsgaard's excellent book on
map librarianship, Introduction to Map Librarianship, the 3rd issue was
published in 1998, where she devotes much space to classification and
the various schemes that can be used for organizing a map and atlas
collection.

I'd be willing to talk to an administrator in person if you want to
refer me, and I'm willing to bet Mary would be willing to do the same
(and probably with better comparative knowledge than I might have since
I've only been using LC over the years...)

Paige