From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 14:01:55 -0500

MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Fwd: L.C. versus Dewey
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:49:26 -0700
From: "Mary Douglass" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Hello
From time to time I have asked a general question on Maps-L about the value
of cataloging maps so that I could have some feedback for convincing
discussions with management.  With the exception of some isolated
instances, the only catalogued cartographic material at Seattle Public
Library are federal, state and local depository items (and not all of them).

However, I am glad to report that we now have the opportunity to catalog
our local history map collection, and the librarian who has been cataloging
our local documents will take on the cataloging task.  These items have
previously been classed with a hybrid map classification scheme that was
developed years ago by the former map librarians here at Seattle Public.
Of course, all of our main library material is classed using Dewey, so the
task before us now is to decide whether to use Dewey or LC to class our
historical map collection.

And I know what system a number of Mapsters would recommend, but I am
interested in your opinions. I would like to collect a handful of cogent
statements that summarize the value of using LC or Dewey (or some other
system), and I thank you for your responses in advance.

In addition, I would love to know if there is a map cataloger or map
librarian out there who would be willing to chat with the administrator of
our Seattle Collection.   In addition to written feedback, I think that she
would simply like to have a conversation with someone who can help her
think through the issues we are faced with.  Any volunteers?

Mary Douglass
History, Travel and Maps Department
Seattle Public Library