Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1993 11:17:34 EDT
Hi Folks,
We have just bought Global Explorer, which is great fun, but full of disturbing
little errors which make us question its accuracy. We have given the British
coverage some detailed scrutiny and located a few oddities - my favourite
occurs when consulting the gazetteer and asking to see "Lindisfarne". For those
with Global Explorer try it out and see what you end up with! Stonehenge
appears to have drifted to the SW of Salisbury instead of to the N, whilst in
Ireland the Hill of Tara is called the Palace of the Boyne and describes a
place called Newgrange, about 20 miles NE of its true location. Despite all
this, I would thoroughly recommend it. It is pricier tan the Times Atlas
though, Darius.
Nick Millea
Bodleian Library, Oxford