From:
Carlos Diaz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2014 11:46:41 -0700

I sent an email to GPO about a call number problem having to do with a couple of U.S. Forest Service maps.  Here is their response to my inquiries.

The original message is at the bottom of this email.

	   ,-~~-.___.
	  / |  '     \		 "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of
	 (  )   	  0   	  the few or the one."
	  \_/-, ,----'
		 ====		   //  			 Mr. Spock
	    /  \-'~;    /~~~(O) 			 Star Trek:  The Wrath of Khan
	   /  __/~|   /       |
	 =(  _____| (_________|

Carlos A. Diaz
Government Publications, Maps, and Microforms
James E. Brooks Library
Central Washington University
Mailstop 7548
Ellensburg, WA 98926
http://www.lib.cwu.edu/government-publications/
Carlos' phone:   (509) 963-1545

>>> GPO Help <[log in to unmask]> 7/3/2014 8:37 AM >>>

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it
within the next 7 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

To access your question from our support site, click the following
link or paste it into your web browser.
https://gpo.custhelp.com/app/account/questions/detail/i_id/394463

Subject
Call Number Confusion with National Forest Maps

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email(Melissa Fairfield) - 07/03/2014 11:37 AM
The correct SuDoc number for Sierra National Forest is: A 13.36/2-6:R 5-RG-177

Melissa

Customer By Web Form (Carlos A Diaz) - 07/03/2014 11:27 AM
So, what is the correct call number for the Sierra National Forest map?

They both would have the same call number and they both have the same number on the back of both maps.  That's why I thought it might be a typo made by the U.S.  Forest Servce.

They have the same map number on the publication but from two different places.

Response Via Email(Melissa Fairfield) - 07/03/2014 10:52 AM
Hello Carlos,

Thank you for brining this to our attention.

The correct SuDoc for Plumas National Forest is A 13.36/2-6:RG-R 5-177.  A WEBTech Note will be issued.

Melissa Fairfield
Supervisor, Tangible Processing Unit

Customer By Web Form (Carlos A Diaz) - 06/27/2014 04:58 PM
Dear askGPO,

We are in the process of doing a shelf-by-shelf inventory of our government documents collection.  In so doing, I found the folowing:

--A 13.36/2-6:R 5-RG=177
  Sierra National Forest
   edition:  2011
   system number:  000819323
   shipping list:  2011-0301-P

--A 13.36/2-6:R 5-RG=177
  Plumas National Forest
   edition:  2013
   system number:  000918792
   Shipping list no.: 2014-0097-P

On the publication itself, the maps do have the same number:  R5-RG-177

I checked WebTech Notes, no mention of this error.

Then I checked the CGP.  When I did a call number search, it only gave me Sierra National Forest.

Then I did a keyword search for Plumas National Forest and the record has the call number as:  A 13.36/2-6:RG-R 5-177.

So, which one is the correct call number?  I assume it is a typo made by the U.S. Forest Service.

Question Reference #140627-000074
    Category Level 1: Federal Depository Libraries
    Category Level 2: Classification and Item Numbers