From:
Angela R Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2018 13:31:02 +0000

________________________________

From: Virginia R Hetrick PhD <[log in to unmask]>

Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:22 AM

To: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc.

Subject: Re: parts of the PNW

Hi, Aimee -

I wound up teaching Geography of the PNW at CWU in Fall and Winter of 1972-1973 when one of the professors got some kind of a course development deal for released time.  When I did the job interview, we talked about what should be included in the region.

What the two of us agreed on was all of Washington, Oregon, and Idaho, the counties of Montana and Wyoming that were all or partly West of the Cotinental Divide, and and two counties of Northern California (sorry, I've forgotten those two counties' names and my Road Atlas is packed away until summer). Since that time the northern counties of California have made very strong cases for the State of Jefferson.  Now I might take the whole State of Jefferson as part of the PNW.

So, I passed out a map at the first classes I taught at Central with county outlines and county seats marked on them and that's what I went with for both terms.

I doubt anybody at the time in the federal depository program had that broad a definition.  But, part of my reason for the partial states was how things were connected economically (who deals with Spokane vs. Denver for wholesale and what're the boundaries between Spokane and Denver for daily newspapers - probably now I'd look at the cable systems and see what the boundary is that way between Spokane and Denver) and partly it was my part time job in the Geography and Map Division of LC that caused me to include the partials.

A group of us who were all PhD sudents at UW wound up teaching PNW at UW in Spring 1973 when the PNW professor at UW got a contract to do some work for the State in Olympia.  We had a similar discussion before starting the course and, based on my experience at CW, we went with the same outline map.

And, BTW, my first full-time "real" professor job was at the University of Florida where I wound up teaching the Anglo-America course.  At least I had slides to cover that whole area + my Dad's slides from when.he worked on a salvage vessel in Alaska in the 1920s!

Hope this helps.

virginia, here in sunny SoCal   🙋