From:
Bill Thoen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 09:33:00 EDT
Hi folks,

Does anyone here know if there is any formal consensus yet on the format
for referencing electronic sources when citing them in a publication?
I'm doing a piece for a journal that is particular about these sorts of
things, but when I floated this question past the editor, he said they
are just running into it, and were looking for input on it too.

In particular, I'm thinking of how to reference a FAQ.  These are not
"published" sources in the usual sense, and are often updated and
revised. They do not necessarily have a number of pages, a place of
publication, and never an ISBN or even ISSN number.  I certainly don't
want to use one for research on an article and not credit the author,
so how should we do this?  I assume a URL would certainly be part of
an online citation, but would you treat it like a serial pub, a book,
something else?  I'm all ears (or eyes in this case) for your
suggestions, and would be particularly grateful if you could point me to
a "manual of style" reference that covers it.

I'll summarize the responses to this next week some time.

_   /|   Bill Thoen
=(___)=  BBS .....: GISnet BBS  303-447-0927 (GIS & Mapping)
   U     Internet : [log in to unmask]
---
 ~ GISnet BBS  303-447-0927  Boulder, Colorado