From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 16:39:05 EST
2 messages.-------------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 10:38:37 EST
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: water consumption

Melissa - We have 2 atlases that probably could be borrowed on ILL:
  1.  Drinking water atlas of China...1990  (GB 1117 C48 1990 Fo MAPL).

  2.  Hydrogeologic map of China ... 1987 (GB 1137 C49 1987 Fo EAST)

We would lend No. 1 which is ours but is small, East Asian might lend
theirs. Please apply through regular ILL channels per OCUL ILL handbook.
Both have a certain amount of text in Chinese but enough English to
decode the maps.

Joan Winearls
Map Librarian                     Tel: 416 978-1958
University of Toronto Library     e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Toronto M5S 1A5                   Fax: 416 978-7653

> Subj: water consumption
>
> Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 14:04:41 EST
> From: UWO Map Lib <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: water consumption

> Hello, we have a question concerning water consumption in China. If anyone
> could offer suggestions regarding statistical sources or maps it would
> be most appreciated.
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Melissa Leitch
> Serge A. Sauer Map Library
> University of Western Ontario
> mapref.sscl.uwo.ca

>From: "Carol Marley" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: water consumption

Best book I have for this  is Environmental Data Report, Unep, 3d ed., 1991-
91. The section on fresh water resources says that info. on the use of
fresh water is not widely reported and quality of data is variable. Table 3.
13 shows China to be one of the highest in terms of withdrawal, the
greatest proportion goint to agriculture- USA not so high. I would qualify
this- you have to read the table to see what's going on in any detail.
Canada, for example, shows very low but in The State of Canada's
Environment is says we are the second higest wasters of water if the
world. I leave you to it. The UNEP handbook is a useful addition to any
un. ref. collection. Carol Marley, McGill Un.