From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:00:07 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005
From: Gillian Hutchinson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: National Maritime Museum (London) charts and maps online

List members may like to know that the National Maritime Museum has now
relaunched its COLLECTIONS ONLINE web page   Collections online
<http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections>
The site previously contained 500 images and descriptions of sea charts
and maps from the loose sheet collections, including a substantial
proportion of manuscripts which had never before been published. To this
we have added a further 600 entries selected from our bound manuscripts.
These include isolarii by Buondelmonti, Sonetti and Millo; portolan
atlases by Martines, Agnese, Oliva, Sanches, Freducci, Dousaigo and
anonymous Portuguese, French and Italian chartmakers; the South Seas
waggoners of Ringrose and Hack, selections from the Dartmouth Collection
of 16th and 17th century surveys of Ireland, the Channel Islands,
Portsmouth and Tangier; Dummer's 17th-century survey of English ports,
an early 18th century survey of French ports and de Surville's late 18th
century survey of ports in Spanish America.

The site has an excellent zoom tool which allows you to see the high
resolution images in fine detail. I'd welcome comments (and corrections).
Happy browsing!

Gillian Hutchinson
Curator of the History of Cartography
National Maritime Museum