From:
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:10:52 -0600

Subject:        Re: question about determining scale
Date:   Thu, 12 Dec 2013 17:48:10 +0000
From:   Mark Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

I’m no cataloger, but as a geographer I use maps heavily and have taught
map use and aerial photo interpretation courses for years, etc. Every
map and image etc. generally has an average scale, but will vary a bit
around the map depending on projection, the material it is printed on,
topography, etc.

You’re email didn’t come through with any images, so I’m not seeing what
you are seeing, but looking  at that I’d say that whatever map you are
using is clearly meant to be a 1 inch (map) = 1 mile (Earth), or
1:63,360, which is what I’d be looking for in the catalog anyway.

The ruler I commonly use with imagery and maps is divided into 10ths and
100ths of an inch but will commonly use a loupe and go for the
thousandths digit. That is more for imagery than maps where the width of
the ink line can make a huge difference. In this case a scale bar
representing 2000 yards would need to be 1.1363636 inches to equal 1
mile on the ground. So, if you kind of measure from the center of the
ink lines on each end of the scale bar you could come down from 1.14 to
1.137 and you’d come up with 1”=1 mile or 1/63,360.

Hopefully that helps.

--
Dr. Mark Jackson
Research Librarian