From:
Christopher Thiry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2019 14:28:49 +0000
Brendan,

We store our air photos flat in custom made boxes.  BTW: acid-free boxes are not appropriate for photos.  You have to get the special photo archival boxes (even more expensive).
The boxes we use are plastic.  Very far from acid-free but totally inert with photograph paper.

See my article in WAML Information Bulletin:
“Solving Our Aerial Photographs Collection Problem” (Thiry), 43:1:18–23
http://www.waml.org/ib-back-issues/IB-V43N1-Nov11.pdf
Western Association of Map Libraries<http://www.waml.org/ib-back-issues/IB-V43N1-Nov11.pdf>
Volume 43 Number 1 November 2011 Western Association of Map Libraries “. . . to encourage high standards in every phase of organization and administration of map libraries . . .”
www.waml.org

Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map & GIS Librarian
Academic Outreach Coordinator