From:
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:02:42 -0500
Subject: Re: Map Cataloging Work Area]
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:55:11 -0600
From: Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Kathy,

I recently got the ideal piece of equipment that makes me think I'm in
map cataloging heaven -- I have a 5 drawer map case under the table near
my desk. It's awesome. I also have an oversized "map" truck at hand for
shuttling heavy loads.  I really like having these storage options
because before I ended up putting a lot of things on the ground - always
temporarily but I just didn't like doing that.

My work area consists of a computer, a printer and my phone on a table.
There is a rather large table next to that -- it's about 6 ft x 4 ft
which I use for storing, sorting and managing maps as I catalog them.
The map drawers fit under that large table. On the other side of my desk
is a book shelf with all my cataloging reference materials and behind me
is a regular desk and file cabinets where I can do paperwork and store
things (and eat lunch). Overall my cubicle is about 11 x 11 feet.

Lastly, I like to have multiple applications open on my computer at once
and so a good fast computer is a must. Don't under estimate the impact
of a good computer to improve the "comfort" and "efficiency" of your
cataloging. Especially if your map catalogers are also cataloging data
which you may have to view - a good computer is essential.

If I could have something more? A corner office with a view (our library
is windowless)!

Good luck with your planning!

Angie

ANGIE COPE, Academic Map Librarian