From:
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2014 14:51:14 -0500

Subject:        Re: Weeding USGS topographic maps
Date:   Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:08:21 -0700
From:   Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship
<[log in to unmask]>, Ann Hefferman <[log in to unmask]>

---
> Another impact on my own efforts is in scanning of printed maps. I had,
> a couple of years before the topographic database was complete, arranged
> two scanning projects. � The 7.5-min. maps of the general area, SW Ohio
> (Cincinnati and Dayton included), and nearby parts of Indiana and
> Kentucky, were scanned. � The other project was to scan our collection
> of 15-min. Ohio maps, which turned out to be complete but for two
> quadrangles, although some are in poor condition. � The historical maps
> provided by USGS make these projects no longer as necessary as they
> seemed a few years ago.

On this point:  it is totally worth it to check your holdings against
what USGS scanned.  We are doing so right now and have found about 125
sheets that USGS scanned that we don't have and, conversely, about the
same number that we have but USGS didn't.

UCSB was a project partner for the project, and while we were not able
to scan as many as we had hoped (USGS eventually wound up using a
contractor to scan someone else's California holdings) we were able to
provide them with metadata advice and inventories.

One of the minor goals of the project was to identify all of the various
permutations of the maps--my impression is that there never was (and per
my point above, still is not) a complete list anywhere.

-jon

--
Jon Jablonski
Map & Imagery Laboratory