From:
"Zellmer, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2017 14:53:36 -0600
Hello,

So far, nobody has said anything about us getting rid of topographic maps
for the entire US. However, we do have extremely incomplete sets of things
like non-US topographic maps (Australia & Canada) that are not appropriate
for our collection. I am working on finding the maps to keep, cataloging as
much as I can, and am marking file folders for weeding this summer (they
are marked DNA for Do not Add). I am also trying to find homes for items
that I know should be kept that are inappropriate for our collection. I
long for the old days when we would send maps to other libraries and the
other library would send us back postage stamps to pay the cost of shipping.

I think what frustrates me the most is that I seem to be going through
different drawers, marked with different geographical descriptions and
finding the SAME MAPS (think of how many ways someone can describe areas of
the Southwest Pacific -- we must have the same Special Strategic Maps filed
in each of those areas).

We are planning to hold a map give-away next fall. If anything, the Art
Department, local schools and day cares will get a lot of paper on which
their students can paint. Anything not claimed will be recycled.

Linda Zellmer

--
Linda Zellmer
Government Information & Data Services Librarian