From:
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 16:15:13 -0400
Subject: Mapnerds
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:56:25 -0700
From: Dr. Virginia R. Hetrick <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Alice is absolutely correct about the B&N book displays.  I found those and
several others, including the geologic map of England (?? and Wales??)
with the
map as the book cover, at both the B&N stores I regularly frequent (Long
Beach
Town Center and Woodland Hills).

I also found a Field Guide to Cows, but that's another story.  ;-)

BTW -  I think map nerds is a good expression for a lot of geographers,
not just
map folks!  Lots of us trained as geographers got our start because our
folks
subscribed to National Geographic when we were kids and we got interested in
maps.  When my Mom died, I inherited all the maps beginning in late
1938, when
my parents got married. The interesting thing here is that I wound up
getting
the Gilbert Grosvenor Fellowship in Geography as an MA student.  I
figure I got
back all the NGS dues my parents paid over the years!  ;-)

virginia
--
\ /     Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
  0      Voicemail:  310.471.1766  Email:  [log in to unmask]