Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:46:39 -0500
Subject:        graduate study at California State University, Long Beach
Date:   Fri, 08 Jun 2007 23:46:38 -0700
From:   Christine M. Rodrigue, Ph.D. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
CC:     [log in to unmask]

The Department of Geography at California State University, Long Beach,
is accepting Fall 2007 applications for its master's degree program
until 25 June.  Our department has a strong program in the geospatial
techniques, including GIS, remote sensing, cartography, and spatial
statistics, which may appeal to advanced undergraduates who have
recently realized they would like to go to graduate school this fall.
We would very much appreciate your bringing our program to the attention
of such students.  For more information about our graduate program and
the application process, please download
http://www.csulb.edu/geography/geomaf07.doc.  The department itself is
described at http://www.csulb.edu/geography/ .

Our program is quite affordable, even for out-of-State students, and we
also offer a limited number of student assistantships and internships,
as well as a competitively awarded out-of-State surcharge waiver.
Graduates of our program are nearly all employed in geography-related
professional, managerial, and technical positions (94% of them), and
four of our graduate alumni have been accepted into Ph.D. programs in
the last two years.

Among our faculty is Suzanne Wechsler, who does work on uncertainty in
digital elevation models and how it impacts parameters derived from
them, such as flood estimation and non-point water pollution
concentrations.  She is the author, with Charles Kroll of SUNY, of
"Quantifying DEM uncertainty and its effect on topographic parameters,"
which appeared in Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing in late
2006.  The American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
recently announced that it was the recipient of the 2007 ESRI Award for
Best Scientific Paper in Geographical Information Systems.

Paul Laris works with remote sensing in an innovating triangulation of
Landsat imagery and on-the-ground interviewing and participant
observation of firesetting decision-making in Mali's savannas.  A recent
article of his, "Managing a burned mosaic: A landscape-scale human
ecological model of savanna fires," has appeared in Linking People with
Nature: Lessons from Savannas and Dry Forests, ed. Jayalaxshmi Mistry
and Andrea Berardi. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate, 2006.

Frank Gossette does GIS work in urban planning and economic geography
contexts.  With one of our recent graduate alumnae, Valerie Müller, he
published "Satellites, Census, and the quality of life," in Geo-Spatial
Technologies in Urban Environments, ed. R.J. Jensen, J. Gatrell, and D.
McLean. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2005.

James Woods is a cartographer interested in wildfire mapping.  He
manages our GIS, cartography, and remote sensing labs.  With Roger Peng
and Frederick Paik, he is the author of "A space-time conditional
intensity model for evaluating a wildfire hazard index" in the Journal
of the American Statistical Association, March, 2005.

Christopher Lee works with remote sensing in geomorphological and
biogeographical applications.  He brought a NASA Regional Earth Science
Applications Center to our department, with all its imagery and
equipment.  He is presently co-ordinating two educational programs that
train students in intelligence applications of GIS and remote sensing.

Thank you for your time.

Chrys Rodrigue, Chair, Geography @ "The Beach"