From:
Linda Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 1995 14:34:29 EDT
Please excuse the cross-posting of this message.

THE PURPOSE OF THIS MESSAGE IS TO DETERMINE THE SIZE OF A POTENTIAL
PRESS RUN FOR THE UNPUBLISHED VOLUME I OF USGS MONOGRAPH 32.  IF
YOU OR YOUR INSTITUTION MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING THIS
VOLUME WHEN PUBLISHED, PLEASE SEND YOUR REPLY TO: Linda Zellmer

THIS IS NOT A COMMITMENT TO PURCHASE THE VOLUME.  IT IS ONLY A SURVEY
TO DETERMINE INTEREST AND THE SIZE OF THE PRESS RUN.  A DESCRIPTION OF
THE VOLUME FOLLOWS:

     During the 1880s and 1890s, Arnold Hague and his USGS
colleagues spent ten field seasons in Yellowstone National Park and
the surrounding areas in Wyoming and Montana.  In addition to
numerous journal articles, the results of their studies were
intended for publication in a three-volume USGS Monograph
(Monograph 32) and an accompanying atlas.  Parts I and III of the
monograph were never published because of budget cuts and personnel
losses.
     The Unpublished manuscript for parts I and III were located in
the National Archives and are being prepared for publication.  In
addition to the text, many tables of chemical analyses, photographs
and unpublished sketches are also included.  The results of Hague's
work in Yellowstone, such as the petrography and geochemistry of
the Tertiary volcanic and igneous rocks and the geochemistry of the
thermal areas, are still of interest today.
     Part I of the monograph was supposed to contain a history of
the exploration of the Yellowstone region; a discussion of the
geology of the Yellowstone area; the Precambrian geology of the
mountain ranges surrounding the Park; the geology, petrology and
petrography of the Absaroka Range, Rhyolite Plateau and the geology
and geochemistry of the thermal areas in the Park.
     This volume will be published by one of the scientific
societies in Wyoming.  The estimated cost for Volume 1, which will
include about 850 pages of text, tables, illustration and
commentary, will be about $80 (including postage and handling).