From:
Susan Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2023 15:59:48 -0800
Thank you all for your suggestions and additional thoughtful questions!

Colleagues here at Berkeley turned up a promising github project: (
https://github.com/cbgoodman/muni-incorporation/blob/master/README.md) and
also told me about the Census Bureau's survey of governments which at least
sometimes asks about incorporation date (take a look at the Census of
Governments, the questionnaire from 2012 includes a question that asks for
the year when the county or city government was formed.
https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/gus/technical-documentation/questionnaires/2012-gus.pdf).
However, unfortunately the public use data files for the census of
government organizations do not include a date of incorporation for the
cities/townships:
https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/gus/data/orgpublicusefiles.All.List_1216629514.html

So far it seems like the Github project is the most promising. I'll keep
you all informed if anything else turns up, though :)

Have a great weekend, and thank you again!
Susan

--
Susan Powell
GIS & Map Librarian