From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 08:45:35 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: HelenJane]
Date:   Sun, 01 Jan 2006 15:19:29 -0500
From:   David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

I don't know where to begin.  Barbara and I have had both professional map library and geography connections and a wonderful personal friendship with HelenJane throughout my whole career.  It all began with our COSMAL Map Library Workshops for the Southeast Division of the AAG in the early 1970s.  Years of work with the Geography and Map Division of SLA, including that field trip with Johnnie to check out Pittsburgh for our 1990 SLA meeting.  We have visited in each other's homes and shared time with our special mothers.  I will never forget our trip with HelenJane to her beloved Cedar Key and that bus that took us into the salt caves of Kansas City.  I am sure you can all add to this brief list, as we all took part in special field trips and activities together with HelenJane.  I also never had a "short" conversation with her.  We had so much to share and both felt a need to help our profession in whatever way we could.  Of course we had all the answers, why didn't our admi!
 nistrators see it our way?

I look forward to seeing HelenJane in her travels up the East Coast, hopefully in Baltimore at SLA in June, if not before.  I also know that no moss will grow around her as she is now free to travel anywhere she wants to go.  We need to talk more about my idea of REMAPLA, Retired Map Librarians Association, as more and more of us take this next step in our careers.  Barbara and I wish her all the best.

David C. McQuillan
Map Librarian
Thomas Cooper Library
University of South Carolina