From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:55:14 -0600

Subject:        Re: Two questions: (1) Geologic maps of Georgia, and (2) is
there a registry of scanned documents?
Date:   Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:22:53 -0600
From:   Mike Flannigan <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Let me point out a few things about the registry noted.
When you go to the Worldcat option and type in "15 minute"
and limit the format to "Map" on the left you get a list
that starts with Pisgah National Forest 7.5 minutes series.

When you select option 4) "15 minute series (topographic)
[maps of the United States]" you get a list of libraries
and their distance from your location.  Clicking on those
library names takes you to LibCat at that library where
you need to do another search of their catalog.

I don't see any online sources of 15 minute series topographic
maps listed at that registry, but I know there are some that exist.
The USGS Interactive Mapping System (IMS) is one.  A search for
that leads to the Tampa Bay Integrated Science Pilot Study with a
bunch of dead links on the left side for "Maps and Aerial Photographs".

It would be nice to have a registry that listed online
sources for maps, and perhaps a coordinated effort to
get repositories to supply additional material.  In other
words show what is not available yet, but is still wanted.

I know it takes money to serve up maps online, but I am surprised
by the scarcity of libraries (and private sources) that attempt
to do this.

Mike Flannigan