From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:50:46 -0600

*Subject: *

Re: Two map cataloging questions

*Date: *

Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:35:17 -0600

*From: *

Jennifer Thom <[log in to unmask]>

*To: *

Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

April,

When we began to catalog the Roger S. Baskes Collection at The Newberry Library, we decided to continue to use the $v Early works to 1800 with our 650/651 when appropriate but to also add 655 genre headings (using AAT as controlled vocabulary) with dates. We had many of the same concerns that you have about the limited usefulness of “Early works to 1800” and a desire to use an actual date. Additionally, we wanted actual dates for post-1800 titles.

The Baskes Collection is primarily comprised of atlases, monographs with significant map plates, and travel guides.

For atlases, we add a 655 for:  Atlases $y (Date)

For travel guides and other books with noteworthy maps we add a 655 for: Maps $y (Date)

We include $z as appropriate.

One concern we have with this decision is the extremely long index that results - most with headings that have only one or two attached records. The researcher who chooses to search this way does a lot of browsing and clicking back and forth. Currently, doing a subject search for "Maps" in our catalog brings up and index with 156 AAT headings subdivided by dates between 1567 and 1944.  And then the index continues with the headings subdivided by place and then date.  We worry that in being so specific we are creating a list that is too long to reasonably browse.

As for the 007, we include it for atlases with the hope of running Voyager reports and ultimately making it useful to researchers through the ILS. For books with map plates and travel guides, we add an006 for maps with CrTP "g" for the same reasons.

Jennifer Thom

Cataloging Projects Manager

Newberry Library