Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:48:21 -0600
Subject:        problems with coordinate diacritics in OCLC and various ILS's
Date:   Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:41:43 -0800
From:   Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I hadn't noticed any problems (except the obvious
one that there are because we've always cataloged
on OCLC a good many records in our online catalog
that have superscript 0 instead of degree sign - so
I'll be asking programmers to fix those).
But I checked with our half-time map cataloger
here, and here's what she's noticed:

"I've had problems with the Connexion-supplied
macro called "Inset 034 field based on 255 field."
It is a great idea for a macro, but has its glitches.
It works pretty well if I only have a degree diacritic
in the subfield c of the 255 field, but only if I use
superscript zero for the degree diacritic instead of
the degree sign now provided in the ALA chart.
Even then, subfields f and g in the 034 that are
created do not have a zero after the N and
before the coordinate value.
If I use the degree sign diacritic, the 034 field
that is produced has two extra zeros at the end
of each coordinate subfield, as well as no zero
after the N in the f and g subfields.
If, however, I have miagkii znak diacritics in
the subfield c of the 255 field and I try using the
"Insert 034 field based on 255 field" macro (CTRL + 3),
it does completely freeze up the record for me, too,
just as described in the email."

Mary

--
Mary Lynette Larsgaard