From:
THOEN WILLIAM <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1993 12:19:54 EDT

I have a lot of different digital data sets and pointers to data sets that
I would like to put into an organized database of some sort.  Since I'm not
a librarian, I don't know the "rules" or conventions too well.  I was
hoping that someone here could give me a pointer or two about how I would
go about learning how to do this?

I'd be most interested in a simple scheme that isn't incompatible with
accepted standards.  It's purpose whould be to answer questions like, "Who
has data on coal mines in the US, and is that data set any good?", or "what
data are available for my study area in XXX quad?", or "who has data on
power plant utilities in the UK?".  etc., etc.

I get asked these sorts of things all the time, and I've got quite a large
pile of info, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find things when
I need them.

I've looked at other examples (glis and esdd), and they look like
there are some good ideas there.  I've played with databases, hypertext,
interactive mapping methods, but I've only learned that cataloging things
in a way where you can retrieve them as needed is quite difficult!

Can anyone give me some pointers that someone without a Masters in Library
Science can actually use?  I'd certainly appreciate any help.

- Bill Thoen