From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2010 07:48:48 -0500
Subject:        Re: CM for RDA?
Date:   Mon, 9 Aug 2010 21:53:47 -0400
From:   PAIGE G ANDREW <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>

Carolyn,

Those of us who are members/representatives of the AACCCM (the
international committee responsible for the second edition of CM) have
not had any conversations as to whether or not CM will next include
RDA-based inclusions or -- yikes! -- maybe to go as far as a 3rd
edition! You answered one of the reasons why ... heck, we have to let
the testers get through their work and then the national libraries have
to go through their evaluation phase, and maybe then will be a good time
to have a discussion. We'll see.

In the meantime, Mary Larsgaard and I are in the process of writing a
formal proposal to go to ALA Editions for an upcoming guidebook/manual
on RDA and cartographic materials (we have a verbal agreement at this
point). Much of what we will be writing is still in a very murky
informal stage, but we do intend to create something that will be useful
to the front-line cataloger of cartographic materials. Okay....I can
hear the next question from here, when? That too is murky, we have our
own goals but we also have a kind of "guiding deadline" as well from
ALA. Suffice it to say its probably at least a year away, perhaps a bit
longer, and do not hold that to me please! (Mary may wring my neck!)

Sincerely,

Paige