From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary McInroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:16:15 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 13:49:50 -0500
From: Mary McInroy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: MAGERT display and programming at ALA annual conference
Sender: Mary McInroy <[log in to unmask]>

NOTE:  If you know people who would be interested in either of our two
programs (I'm thinking particularly of  alternatives to MARC for cataloging
cartographic materials), please forward the program information to those folks.

MAGERT members needed at MAGERT display table in Exhibit Hall at ALA Annual
conference.

Booth sitters are needed!   MAGERT will have a booth/table at annual
conference in the Exhibit Hall, and we need folks who would be willing to
spend a couple of hours sitting at the booth, actually a table, answering
questions and promoting our group.  I can't think we'll have a presence at
the table the whole time exhibits are open, but we will do the best we
can.  Think of it as a place to sit and rest.... Hours that exhibits are open:
         9 AM-5 PM---Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, (July 8, 9,10)
         9 AM-3 PM--Tuesday (July 11)
Please think about it, and e-mail me times you would be willing to help out.
OH!  If anyone is interested in helping set up and/or dismantle the
display, just let me know.  That all happens Thursday July 6 (sometime
between 8AM-4:30 PM for set up) and Tuesday, July 11 (3-7 PM for take down,
or, heaven forbid, Weds July 12 from 8 AM to noon).

PROGRAMMING:
As Chair of the Membership Committee of MAGERT, I would like to invite
those planning to attend ALA in Chicago to  any and all MAGERT events
during the conference.  The full MAGERT schedule (meetings, discussions
groups, etc.) can be found at:
http://www.sunysb.edu/libmap/magprogs.htm.   Our two programs this year
deal with acquiring electronic geo-spatial data --and enhancing the
accessibility of cartographic information in our libraries, where you may
find the answer to "Is there map cataloging beyond MARC?"

         DATES & TIMES for PROGRAMS:

         SATURDAY, JULY 8 -------2:00-4:00 p.m.   -SHER-Superior A
                 Program I:  The Acquistion of Electronic Geo-Spatial
Data    (sponsored by ALA Map and Geography Round Table, Geotech Committee)
                 Description from the ALA conference web site:
          Spatial data in electronic form is being produced and issued by
the U.S. Government, state and local government agencies, foreign
governments, international organizations, and commercial vendors, and in
ever increasing quantities and varieties. Hear panelists discuss how map
and geography librarians can come to grips with this material and obtain
the best and most relevant of it for  their institutions.

         MONDAY, JULY 10----------2:00-4:00 p.m.    -SHER-Huron
                         Program II:  "Finding the Way:  Access to
Cartographic Collections"  (sponsored by ALA Map and Geography Round Table,
Cataloging & Classification Committee)
                   Description from the ALA conference web site:
         Map collections are often not included in the catalog that covers
the rest of the collections. How do   you provide access to the maps and
other cartographic resources without full MARC cataloging? Come and hear
three possible approaches and get your questions answered.
Speakers: David Y. Allen, head, Map Collection, SUNY Stony Brook, "The
Dublin Core and its application to non-MARC cataloging for maps"; Scott
McEathron, map catalog libn., liaison to Natural Resources, Univ. of CT,
"GEODEX (Geographic Index System for Map Series)"; Joseph M. Winkler,
coord., Research Collections, St. Louis Pub. Lib., "MapFind, a home-grown
stand-alone database for maps."

Thank you.  Mary McInroy, MAGERT Membership Chair

Mary McInroy
Government Publications Department
and Map Collection
University of Iowa Libraries