From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 16:53:16 EST
5 messages.  These are better than the person looking for air photos done of
Georgia in the colonial period, or the Geography professor at Oregon who was
hunting for gopher holes on 1:20,000 air photos.  When he asked if the small
white dots could be gopher holes, I replied, no, they were sheep.
----------------------------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 18:41:16 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: What is the strangest question you have been asked?

As a TA for the Intro to Geography at UWO last year, I had to field some
real doozies (SP?).  However, the most memorable was when we were doing a
lab on stream hydrology, and MORE THAN ONE STUDENT asked me why the Great
Lakes were not filled with salt water since the St. Lawrence River flows
from the Atlantic.  MY GOD, WHAT ARE WE TEACHING THESE POOR STUDENTS IN
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL?

See y'all...

P. Andrew Ray
Department of Geography
University of Western Ontario

>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 23:15:55 -0800 (PST)
>From: Roger Wheate <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: What is the strangest question you have been asked?

While manager of the Canadian Cartographic Association, stationned in
Calgary (also known as 'Cowtown'), I once received a rather confused letter
from a local farmer who had seen some of our brochures and so he asked me
for more details about our 'remote fencing program'

Roger Wheate
(not that funny, you had to be there!)

>Date: 15 Nov 1995 09:44:48 +0000 (GMT)
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: What is the strangest question you have been asked?

Responding to John D. Criisnger's request for strange questions. This is not
one that I was actually asked myself, but is one that I was told about during
a visit a few years ago to the ILH GeoCentre in Stuttgart. From memory, it
went a bit like this:

        -  "Please may I have a globe of Berlin?"
        -  "Don't you mean a map?"
        -  "No, a globe."

I look forward to seeing more "gems".

Darius Bartlett

>From: Brent Allison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: What is the strangest question you have been asked?
>Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:39:56 -0600

A few years ago, I had to deal with an irate patron who insisted I show him a map of Perestroika.

Brent Allison
University of Minnesota

----------
Subject:        What is the strangest question you have been asked?

>This message is from John Crissinger.---------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 20:25:48 EST
>From: John Crissinger <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FWD: Re: WHAT IS THE STRANGEST QUESTION YOU HAVE BEEN ASKED??

>Greetings, all!  Saw this on another listserv and thought I would share.  Good
>for a chuckle, or maybe just a good cry.
>        John D. Criisnger
>        Central Carolina Tech
>        Sumter, SC 29150

>Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 08:25:09 EST
>From: "Melissa Jadlos"@A1.SUM.TEC.SC.US
>Subject: Re: WHAT IS THE STRANGEST QUESTION YOU HAVE BEEN ASKED?????
>Sender: CIRCPLUS - LIBRARY CIRCULATION ISSUES <[log in to unmask]>

A student came to the desk holding a map of Africa.  She wanted to know
how to find eastern Africa.  I showed her the arrow pointing north and
she said, "Yes, I know that is north, how do I find east?"

>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 10:47:26 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask] (Michael Horner)
>Subject: Re: What is the strangest question you have been asked?

Well if we all want a good chuckle . . .

Ours was "Where can I buy a globe of Texas?"
Michael J. Horner
National Geographic Society
Map Library
202/775-6173