From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 08:00:33 -0600
Subject: Cataloging question - adding urls to OCLC records
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 06:17:40 +0000
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
To: mapsL <[log in to unmask]>

> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 15:34:05 -0600
> From: "Angie Cope, American Geographical Society Library, UW Milwaukee"
> Subject: Cataloging question - adding urls to OCLC records
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Are there any guidelines or rules about adding the urls to records from
> your institutions digital collections to OCLC records done by other
> institutions? So, for example, I copy cataloged a map adding my holdings
> to a record done by DLC, I put the map in my digital collection and I
> put a 530 and 856 in the DLC record.
>
> Good? bad?
>
> Angie

Angie,

I'm no cataloguer, just a curator, but I add 530 and 856's to records
(new and copy catalogued) to which we are adding online indexes or
scanned maps.

examples:

530   |a Index indicating National Library of Australia holdings, in an
online version at:|u http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-vn4695863

856 4 2 |3 Index only, indicating National Library of Australia
holdings|u http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-vn4695863

where we copy a record with someone else's 503 or 856 (usually
Berkeley's), I delete their 530/856 and add |x ISD5:ANL to our
replacement entry.

Brendan Whyte
Naitonl Library of Australia