From:
"Ratliff, Louise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps-L: Discussion Forum for Maps, Air Photo, Map Librarianship, GIS, etc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 18:41:30 +0000
Dear Silvana,

I’m the map cataloger at UCLA and I see this sort of thing quite often, when one map is used as a sort of “base map” for an updated version.  I’ve seen many cases where I have one blueline print map from some city agency, and I have another that is almost a duplicate except for some added or revised information.

I recently asked two rare-map catalogers about how to deal with this, and it boils down to cataloger’s judgment about whether to consider them the same map or not.  Can you tell whether the “later” one  (with more lot information) was printed that way, or whether it was annotated by hand?  I think if it was actually printed, then it is a revised version of the first one (on the larger sheet).  It also seems to have been distributed in a different way, since it was folded to a smaller size.  My tendency is to treat these as 2 separate maps, especially since developers printed and distributed lots of updated maps for their subdivisions to attract new buyers.

For the physical description, I always indicate the original condition of the sheet, e.g.:  300  $c 48 x 65 cm, folded to 21 x 10 cm,  if it seems to have been issued that way.  Sometimes it’s hard to tell whether it was originally a flat sheet that somebody folded after they obtained it, but if the folds are precise and the folded size is small, it was probably issued that way.

I differentiate between “identical” maps by using different Cutter numbers for the author cutter; we add LC call numbers to our sheet maps, and that is the convention that LC uses.  (For example, a U.S. agency might get .U5, .U51, U52 etc. for different versions of the same map.)  But I don’t think it would be “wrong” to add a work letter to one of the dates.

To differentiate between the two maps in the bibliographic  records, sometimes I make up an edition statement for one of them, since otherwise the bibliographic description is the same.  The OCLC duplicate detection algorithm (if OCLC is what you are using) might consider them duplicates without a difference in a fixed field, tag, or field.  You could say, for example, 250 [Updated ed.] or something like that.

I add lots of notes too, but the OCLC program doesn’t look at those.

Hope this helps!

Louise

Louise Ratliff

Social Sciences and Map Catalog Librarian

UCLA Library Cataloging & Metadata Center

11020 Kinross Ave.

Box 957230

Los Angeles, CA 90095-7230

(310)206-5853