From:
Ilene Raynes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2022 20:51:32 +0000
Hi All-

I’m the Review Editor for the “Atlas and Book Review” section of the WAML Information Bulletin. I’m seeking reviewers for the following books (descriptions for these books are taken from Amazon):

  *   Atlas of a Changing Climate, by Brian Buma, Timber Press, November 2021, ISBN: 978-1604699944.

Climate change, shrinking wildlife habitats, rising sea levels, and vanishing species. These are big, important ideas that deserve a proper exploration—just the type of revealing journey you will experience in The Atlas of a Changing Climate.

Ecologist Brian Buma helps us envision—both literally and figuratively—the history, present, and possible futures of the imperiled ecosystems directly influencing our lives. By presenting the forces driving Earth’s changes through illuminating maps, charts, and infographics, he proves the depth of our connectivity to our planet, revealing both the vulnerability—and hope—intrinsic in that link.

  *   Newcastle upon Tyne: Mapping the City, by Michael Barke, Brian Robson, and Anthony Champion, Birlinn, January 2022, ISBN: 978-1780277264.

Newcastle has a long and distinguished history through two millennia: a Roman fortress at the eastern end of Hadrian's Wall; an important centre of monasticism; a 'royal' bulwark against attacks and invasion from Scotland; and the principal centre for the export of coal to London. In the 19th century it was transformed into an elegant Georgian townscape with dramatic streets and handsome public buildings. It and other towns on the Tyne - Gateshead, Jarrow, Wallsend, Tynemouth, North and South Shields - developed important industries: shipbuilding, glass and heavy engineering. Tyneside suffered severe contraction in the 20th  century as heavy industry declined, but it has begun to reinvent itself and create new growth shoots, not least its vibrant cultural industries including music and art.

This book takes an innovative approach to telling the story of the area's history by focusing on the historic maps and plans that record the growth and development of Newcastle and Tyneside over many centuries.

Deadline will be the end of June for these reviews. (I will send you more specifics if wind up reviewing one of these books). Please contact me off-list if you’re interested and I’ll send you the book, the reviewer guidelines, and a due date.

Thanks-

Ilene

Ilene Raynes

Map Library Program Manager

Rare and Distinctive Collections

(Includes Special Collections, Archives, Government Information Library, and Map Library)

Located in the Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library

University of Colorado Boulder Libraries

184 UCB, Boulder, CO 80309​