From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 14:32:34 EST
3 messages........------------------Johnnie

>Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:11:17 -0500 (EST)
>From: [log in to unmask] (Paige Andrew)
>Subject: Re: compact shelving

Beth,

Contact Dr. HelenJane Armstrong at the Univ. of Florida. She is Head of the
map library their and has had compact shelving for her map collection in
place for several years now. She can give you pros and cons. Her email is
[log in to unmask] and phone is (352)392-2828.

The other place that more recently installed compact shelving for a large
portion of their map collection is the Cartographic and Architectural Branch
of the National Archives II at College Park, Maryland. I was fortunate
enough to be able to tour their maps/air photo/image collection this summer
along with several of my colleagues here at PSU and can tell you it was most
impressive. I can't put my hands on the name of the Branch Director, who was
kind enough to lead us on our tour but the phone number for the Branch is
(301)713-7040.

Hope these suggestions help!

Paige

>Hello!  I am hoping someone else out there has faced this decision
>and can help me.
>
>We are in the process of planning and working out space details for a new
>building.  The library planners that we have hired are strongly
>suggesting compact shelving for our maps.
>
>Does anyone have this and willing to share opinion?  Does it add much
>difficulty for the student who is looking?  Does it seem more of a
>blessing or a burden?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Beth
>

>Beth A. Estes
>Government Information Librarian
>Moellering Library
>Valparaiso University
>219-464-5771

>Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:09:34 -0500 (EST)
>From: william j thornton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: compact shelving

Helen Jane Armstrong at the University of Florida is the person
to talk to about compact shelving for maps.  This is the email
address I have for her: [log in to unmask]

>Date: Thu, 21 Nov 96 09:08:41 CST
>From: "Arlyn Sherwood" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: compact shelving

     A new building?! Those fund-raising campaigns on us alumni must be
     working!

     When they started planning our new building 7 years ago, they told me
     the same thing. I said What! I had never heard of such. I quickly
     found out that HelenJane Armstrong of the University of Florida at
     Gainesville had just recently (then) gotten compact shelving and that
     just a handful of map libraries worldwide were operating with compact
     shelving. The National Archives Cartographic Branch now has compact
     map shelving too, I understand.

     It works well here. However, ours are just muscle power, no push
     button stuff. The push button book stacks here do break down
     occasionally. I believe HelenJane's is automatic. She published an
     article with photos about the facility. Ours are also in the closed
     stacks, so only staff is supposed to be in them. The cabinets are in
     two separate rooms with only the cabinets in them.

     Good luck!