From:
ARNAUD Jean-luc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2021 17:56:09 +0000
To maps catalogers interested in bounding box generator

I just read your post about  the issue related to the modification of the Google API for the operation of Klokan Bounding Boxes.
    We had the same problem with Google for the CartoMundi interface several years ago. Google often changes its API without notifying users and each change is likely to require adjustment of the services that use Google maps. That is to say that paying an upgrading to Klokan is not a perennial solution.

       In the context of renewing CartoMundi, we developped recently a sotware that can help you to generate the 034 $d to g zones. It’s based on Open Street Maps and its use is for free. This tool has been deveopped by our computer scientist – Romain Suarez -, that is to say we are able to improve it if necessary. Initially it has been set up to generate georeferenced sheet indexes but it can also been used for bounding boxes. Unfortunately the interface and tutorials are in french but anyone can operate very easily, particulerly to create bounding boxes.

It’s name is PeriCart. The link is : https://pericart.mmsh.fr/
This page opens a screen conposed by two windows. On the left is the OSM planisphere one can move and zoom to get more or less precision; on the right are several tabs. The page opens on the main one Outils (Tools), on the top right, is the rectangal tool to draw a bounding box on the planisphere.
To get the corresponding coordinates :
1. Click on the tab « Outils « (that closes the tab).
2. Click on the tab « Coordonnées » (that opens the tab)
3. Click on the button « Unimarc 123 » (that opens a box with the coordinates you can copy)
Coordinates are DMS formated for Unimarc, but it is easy to add a new button « Marc21_034 », that displays the coordinates in decimal format.

To help the creation of the bounding box for maps that are not based on Greenwich meridian, the tab « Coordonnées », proposes a long list of meridians for different countries, the selection of a meridian changes the grid and the coordinates on the map. This list can easily be completed.

Let us know if you could be interested

Jean-Luc Arnaud / [log in to unmask]

Romain Suarez / [log in to unmask]

Jean-Luc Arnaud