From:
Craig Haggit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2023 08:03:52 -0700
Hi Trina,
Great question! This was a topic of some conversation at ALA MAGIRT
meetings last summer, and perhaps some of the people who were there will
share their thoughts here too. As I recall, the consensus, to the extent
there was one, was that LC G-schedule classification allows more
granularity and is easier to use, but that ultimately it's up to the
institution to decide what works best for them.

As for myself, working at a public library with a large map collection,
we've had some internal conversations about this. LC was being used when I
arrived, and I agree completely with that. Our genealogy maps were
classified DDC, but we're starting to move away from that. It'll take time
to reclassify things, and being in a public library I'm happy to share
offline more specifics of our thinking if you'd like.

Full confession, showing my Colorado bias, I first saw UNCG as 'University
of Northern Colorado - Greeley', but I suspect that's not where you're
studying. lol

Best wishes on your capstone project!
Craig

Craig Haggit
Map and Geospatial Librarian, Special Collections and Archives
Denver Public Library
10 West 14th Ave. Parkway
Denver, CO  80204
720-865-1813