From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:37:37 -0500
Subject:        Re: Storing historical maps on large diameter tubes
Date:   Tue, 30 Mar 2010 20:16:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:   A CARLUCCI <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Air Photo GIS Forum - Map LibrarianshipMaps <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Amy

In the article I wrote on map storage methods you'll find photos and
descriptions of how large rolled antiquarian maps are stored at the
British Library Map Collections. It involves wrapping a treated map (so
that it is not brittle) around a plastic core (using a layer of acid
free tissue to keep the map surface from being damaged), wrapping it
in linen and tying with cotton strips. This is probably the most
satisfactory method of storing rolled maps I've seen. However, you
should always consider first whether or not you have any option to store
the maps flat, as flat is always preferable if at all possible.

The citation for the article is:

“Physical considerations of the storage of printed cartographic
materials in libraries, or, My life in a map case.” _The Cartographic
Journal_ (Map Curators’ Group Special Issue), vol. 42, no. 3, December
2005. p. 245-54.

Hope this helps.

Regards
April