From:
Angela R Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2020 13:14:27 +0000

Dear all—

This April, we mark the 10th anniversary of Preservation Week in the midst of a global pandemic, in circumstances that have stunned the world. While we may not be able to gather to celebrate the anniversary, the mission and purpose of Preservation Week<http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/about> persists, perhaps in new and different ways. Preservation Week inspires actions to preserve personal, family, and community collections in addition to library, museum, and archival materials. It also raises awareness of the role libraries and other cultural institutions play in providing ongoing education and outreach.

This year we are celebrating the theme of Preserving Oral History with our Honorary Chair<http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/rgay>, author, activist, and cultural critic Roxane Gay. This theme allows us a chance to explore oral histories both as acts of preservation and artifacts that require preservation.

In order to celebrate, the Preservation Outreach Committee is wondering if you are planning Preservation Week events? What are they? We’re hoping to revive a Preservation Week events calendar and would ask that you send a notice of your event to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> so we can share widely.

Some events we already know about:

ALCTS Webinars

Using Oral History to Tell Your Family Stories

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 2pm-3pm EDT

http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/042820

Community Archiving Strategies for Oral History

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 2pm-3pm EDT

http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/042920

The Library of Congress Preservation Directorate is presenting a Topics in Preservation Series (TOPS) for Preservation Week 2020. More information and registration for any, or all, of the following webinars here: http://LOCPreservation.eventbrite.com<http://locpreservation.eventbrite.com/>

Keeping it Cool – Designing the Library’s New Gutenberg Bible Display Case

Monday, April 27th, 11am – 12pm EDT

Acquiring and Developing an Offsite High-Density Collections Storage Facility

Tuesday, April 28th, 11am – 12pm EDT

Assessing the Condition of the United States National Collection

Wednesday, April 29th, 11am – 12pm EDT

Environment, Housing & Building Materials Testing to Protect our Collections

Thursday, April 30th, 11am – 12pm EDT

Would You Like to Save Your Game?

Friday, May 1st, 11am – 12pm EDT

SAA twitter conference<https://www2.archivists.org/groups/preservation-section/prestc2020-preservation-week-twitter-conference>: This ALA Preservation Week Twitter Conference will present a series of lightning talks of interest to librarians, archivists, and anyone who may care about preserving cultural heritage. Mark your calendar for April 29th! #PresTC2020

It’s a challenging time, and we know that many planned in-person events will no longer go forward. As always, we encourage you to do at least one thing to celebrate! Here are some ideas:

Conduct your own oral history, maybe using the new StoryCorps Connect<https://storycorps.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=96ec1872e4e49f3528055f990&id=6f15b4de5f&e=4990b0a906> tools, and get closer to friends and family despite social distancing

Do a little Personal Digital Archiving<http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/pres/042413> on your email inbox or digital photos, or just spend an hour getting motivated to tackle the issue with presenter Mike Ashenfelder in this webinar.

Make a hot dog booklet <http://youtube.com/watch?v=YX5jp1hqUG4> with your kids or check out the great list<http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/ch/kids> of Preservation-related kid lit.

Now that you’re working from home and those boxes of Grandma’s are staring you in the face, research the best way to care for family keepsakes<http://www.ala.org/alcts/confevents/upcoming/webinar/042519>. Maybe start with this great webinar from presenter Denise May Levenick, or check out the Preservation Week Dear Donia<http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/advice> archives.

Work with your IT department or webmaster to add the Preservation Week banner<http://www.ala.org/alcts/sites/ala.org.alcts/files/content/191022-preservation-week-10-year-anniversary-logo.jpg> to your website.

Check out the extensive Preservation Week website for more ideas on events<http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/plan/ideas1>, Preservation advice<http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/advice> from Dear Donia, resource pages on Saving Your Stuff<http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/howto> and special resources for kids<http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/ch/kids> and military families<http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/ch/military>.

Thanks to the tireless efforts of Brooke Morris-Chott, we even have a new page on Handling Library Materials and Collections During a Pandemic<http://www.ala.org/alcts/preservationweek/resources/pandemic>.

Share any and all of the resources above with your colleagues, users, family, and friends!

With thanks and appreciation-

Moriah Caruso and Katie Risseeuw  (Co-chairs of the ALA ALCTS PARS Preservation Outreach committee)

Brooke Morris-Chott
Program Officer, Communications
Association for Library Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS)
American Library Association (ALA)
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611
800.545.2433 x5037
312.280.5037
312.280.5033 (fax)
www.ala.org/alcts<http://www.ala.org/alcts>
Effective as soon as it’s safe for us to move, ALA’s new address will be:
225 N Michigan Ave
Suite 1300
Chicago, IL 60601
[cid:image001.jpg@01D617B0.9536D550]<https://exchange2020.learningtimesevents.org/>