Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2006 07:44:47 -0600
Subject:        WAML 'Spring' 2007, February 15-18 2007 -- preliminary schedule
Date:   Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:37:36 -0800
From:   Jim O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
To:     maps-l <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings, MapFolk!
WAML will meet in Pasadena in February. Yes, it's early for our Spring
meeting, but we'll be meeting with the California Map Society (Thank
you, Julie S-S!), and the program is pretty fine, if I do say so myself.
Housing: Given the plethora of possibilities in Pasadena, I'm going to
do what I did in 1998 (Remember WAML@30 <mailto:WAML@30>?), and just
give some links to good solid local places, among them the Saga Motor
Hotel, of fond memory to many. Those are at the bottom of this message.
Complete information will go out in early January, but I think there's
enough here to let you get going on your advance planning. Financial
info is not yet available.
Oh: one more think: Burbank (BUR) is the nearest airport. If you fly
into LAX, however, there's a Caltech SuperShuttle Deal that's quite cheap.
Looking forward to seeing youall.
Jim O'Donnell
Preliminary Program (of course subject to change and other amendment)
Thursday, Feb 15, 1 pm. Executive Board, Winnett Lounge, Caltech
Thursday, Feb 15, 6 pm. Early Bird thingy, TBA
Friday, Feb 16, 9-11, Business Meeting & Sounding Board, Winnett Lounge,
Caltech
Friday, Feb 16, 11-12, Presentations, Winnett Lounge, Caltech
Friday afternoon, free time at the Huntington Library
Friday evening, Banquet, TBA
Saturday, February 17: Joint program with California Map Society, at the
Huntington Library

8:30—9:00 AM

Coffee and registration

9:00—9:15 AM

Welcome, Tom Worth, President, California Map Society and Wendie Helms,
President, Western Association of Map Librarians.

9:15—9:45 AM

Dr. Robert C. Ritchie, W. M. Keck Foundation Director of Research,
Huntington Library, will welcome us and speak on The Henry Morgan
Deretero and the derivative Haack Atlas.

9:45—10:15 AM

Bill Warren, Past CMS President, will give a presentation on Bird’s-eye
views of California, the realtor’s dreams.

10:15—10:30 AM

Break

10:30—11:15 AM

Philip Burden, noted British author and mapseller, will talk about The
Men Behind the Maps.

11:15—12:00 PM

Tour of the Huntington’s Preservation Laboratory, led by conservators
Holly Moore, Joyce Ziman, and Marieka Kaye.

12:00—1:30 PM

Lunch and viewing some Huntington Maps or a walk through the
Huntington’s Gardens and Exhibition Halls

1:30 -- 1:45 PM

CMS Business meeting

1:45—2:30 PM

Dr. Kerry Sieh, Robert P. Sharp professor of Geology, Tectonic
Observatory, Cal Tech, will speak on The Intersection of Burgeoning
Human Population and Natural Hazards—the Case of Sumatra.

2:30—3:00 PM

Dr. Norman J. W. Thrower, UCLA Emeritus professor and First CMS
President, will address the subject of Physicians and Maps, an
interesting connection.

3:00—3:15 PM

Break

3:15—4:00 PM

Susan Caughey, CMS VP, will discuss Vermeer’s Maps.

4:00—4:30 PM

Dr. David Y. Allen, Map Librarian, Stony Brook University, retired, and
Member both CMS and WAML will offer The Comparative Analysis of Old Maps
using digital raster imagery.

4:30 PM

Adjourn. Post meeting reception at Bill Warren’s Pasadena home, 1109
Linda Glen Drive, overlooking the Rose Bowl. Maps with directions will
be available at the meeting.

Saturday Evening, dinner on your own (list of restaurants will be provided)
Sunday, February 18 Morning, Tour of Descanso Gardens, La Canada Flintridg
Motels, easy walk to both Caltech and the Huntington:
Saga Motor Hotel, 1633 E. Colorado Boulevard
http://www.thesagamotorhotel.com/
Westway Inn, 1599 E. Colorado Boulevard http://westwayinn.com/
Vagabond Inn, 1203 E. Colorado Boulevard http://www.vagabondinn.com/
In addition, the following hotels are a longer distance away and require
a car:

    *
      Hilton Pasadena , 150 South Los Robles
      http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/PASPHHF-Hilton-Pasadena-California/index.do
    *
      Westin Hotel, 191 North Los Robles
      http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1453
      (formerly the Doubletree)
    *
      Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel, 1401 South Oakland Avenue
      http://www.ritzcarlton.com/hotels/huntington/