From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:23:31 -0600

Subject:        'Murricans and European Maps
Date:   Mon, 2 Dec 2013 10:18:29 -0800
From:   Virginia R Hetrick PhD <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Hi, Michael -

I tried filling in the country names for Europe.  And, I'm thrilled to
say I got them all right, including the areas included in former USSR
and the former Yugoslavia.  Whew!

When I was on the plane to defend my dissertation (May, 1974), I took
Eastern Airlines from Gainesville, FL, where I was teaching at the
University of Florida up to Seattle. The cabin crew had a contest to
name the state capitals that began with "A".  When I told the story to
my committee, the FIRST question they asked me in my exam was what the
state capitals beginning with "A" were and what I got for a prize.  I
told them and showed them the prize (a set of prints of all the
airliners that Eastern had ever flown) which I'd brought with me to the
exam.  Of all the people on the plane, only I and a fifth-grader got the
whole list of five cities.  Pretty poor, I think.

For those of you who don't know, the answers follow my signature block
below.

The important thing is that we geographers HAVE to hold up our end.
Everybody THINKS this is what we do, just like everybody thinks
historians in the US know all the presidents and vice presidents in
order and that, in the UK, historians know all the kings, queens, and
prime ministers in order.

If I hadn't known the right answers, I never would have heard the end of
it from my geographic buddies which is why I LOVED going to the
Geography Bowl at the last AAG meeting (they never had those when I was
an undergrad, or grad, student)!

Thank you for the grins this morning.

virginia
Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
"There is always hope."
My fave: http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.jpg
There's no place like:  34N 8' 25.40", 117W 58' 5.36"
if you can't be at:  48N 7' 4.54" 122W 45' 50.95"

Albany, New York
Annapolis, Maryland
Atlanta, Georgia
Augusta, Maine
Austin, Texas

(If you want to confirm these are correct, you can go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capitals_in_the_United_States

by clicking on the link above.  ;~)