From:
Connie Manson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 1994 14:42:00 EDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 1994 09:02:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Connie Manson <[log in to unmask]>
To: GIS executive board -- Clara McLeod <[log in to unmask]>,
    Connie Wick <[log in to unmask]>,
    Barbara Haner <[log in to unmask]>,
    Louise Zipp <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
Subject: ACTION ALERT: USGS ESIC offices

Folks:
        [I'm zapping this everywhere I can think of; pardon the
duplications; feel free to pass on.]

        We just heard that the USGS intends to close the ESIC offices in
Spokane, Wash.; Fairbanks, Alaska; Salt Lake City, Utah; Stennis, Miss.
This, at a time when the turn-around for publication orders from USGS
Denver is approx. 10 weeks.  (Our orders from Spokane are usually filled
*the same day*; we routinely get stuff from them in
mail-time-plus-a-minute!)  And, the local offices do terrific outreach,
PR, local service, etc.  For us, they're really critical.  We need the
Spokane ESIC.
        Yes, we know that the USGS is in dire fiscal straits; yes, we
know they're going through a major reorganization.  And yes, we know that
no amount of loud protest might matter.  But, on the off chance that it
might:

        Write the USGS.  Write your Congressional delegation.  Shout loud
enough to be heard!

        -- Connie Manson