From:
Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps-L: Discussion Forum for Maps, Air Photo, Map Librarianship, GIS, etc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2014 15:18:40 -0500

On 11/16/14 11:48 AM, Virginia R Hetrick PhD wrote:
> Hi, Susan -
>
> I'd suggest NOT doing any enhancing of any kinds.

This might be accurate, in terms of "enhancing" (a bit unclear as to how
that term is being used in the context of these copper plates):
http://www.sha.org/index.php/view/page/process#A

Their comments:

Metals 	Dry-brush with soft paintbrush. Dislodge soil with soft tools.
Best to not clean 	Organic remains attached, or incorporated into
corrosion. Loose corrosion layers. Multiple components. Corrosion in the
presence of water.

I would presume similar concerns would apply here, but it is always good
to talk with the experts as several have suggested.

             Joel Kovarsky