From:
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:57:19 -0500
Subject: RE: Sanborn maps]
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:21:55 -0500
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
At the University of Florida Map & Imagery Library we have a set of the
copyright Sanborns for Florida Cities given to us by LC Geography and Map
Division.  The public domain maps have been scanned and loaded on a website
funded by the State of Florida for its citizens but available for anyone to
use.  The UF Libraries Digital Library Center are responsible for the
scanning.  They have produced wonderful images in color and highly detailed.
The same website contains scans of the aerial photography collection of
Florida and our collections of antique maps and non-copyrighted maps of
Florida.

We also have all the original microfilms of Sanborns for Florida, Georgia,
South Carolina, and Washington DC.  There is a small printer attached to the
reader and letter size Black & White copies may be made for 25 cents.  We
will allow photos to be taken of the originals based on a strict set of
guidelines which includes appointments, staff member in attendance, etc.  We
do not allow scanning or photocopies of the paper maps.  Everyone
reproducing a post 1923-Sanborns must sign an acknowledgement of the
copyright statement.

The Sanborns may be used by any of our patrons.  All of the Sanborns have
been cataloged.  The original "bound" books were removed during the scanning
process and not rebound so they could be housed in proper preservation
conditions.

After my address, I have copied the use statement from the Sanborn portion
of the website.  The address of the website is:
http://palmm.fcla.edu/collection.html.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.  There
will be some articles coming out soon on the UF Sanborn Project.
Helen

HelenJane Armstrong PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library
George Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
PO Box 117011
Gainesville, FL 7011

FROM PALMM Sanborn website. (PALMM=Publication Archival Library Museum
Materials)

"This project makes available only those maps which have passed into the
public domain. The images that comprise this digital collection were
produced as a service to the people of the State of Florida using public
funds. No profit is derived from this collection or from items derived from
this collection, and no profit may be made of third party uses of this
collection.

Digitization of these maps does not remove either these maps or their
digital reproductions from the public domain. We require only that proper
attribution be accompany any copies, off-prints, or derivative formats of
the maps in this collection.

Sanborn", "Sanborn Map", "Sanborn Map Company", and "Sanborn Fire Insurance
Maps" are recognized trademarks of the Sanborn Map Company, a subsidiary of
Environmental Data Resources, Inc. (EDR).  The presentation of historic
Sanborn Fire Insurance Company maps of Florida on this site is in no way
connected with either the Sanborn Map Company or Environmental Data
Resources, Inc.

DATABASE, SEARCH SYSTEMS,
& OTHER VALUE ADDED INFORMATION
The database, search systems and other value added information are the
property of the University of Florida. Copyright protections extend to this
information and all rights are reserved. Only Fair Use may be made of this
information. Permission for all other uses must be requested of and secured
in writing from the Digital Library Center at the University of Florida."