From:
Nancy Kandoian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2018 12:01:19 -0500
Please excuse the duplication, as I have already sent a similar appeal to
the MAGIRT-RDA list.

As the chair of a task force charged with figuring out the best way to use
MARC linking fields when cataloging maps that have been removed from
identifiable larger resources, I am soliciting input from map librarians
beyond the circle of usual suspects (map catalogers who come to the
Cataloging and Classification Committee meetings of MAGIRT -- the Map and
Geospatial Information Round Table of the American Library Association).
At the recent Midwinter meeting of ALA in Denver, the task force submitted
the draft report attached below.  Also attached below is the task force
charge.  Each document includes the names of the task force members.

We are now charged with broadening our appeal for input, not only to those
who create catalog records for maps, but also to those who use catalog
records for maps.

When you are looking at a map that (obviously or not so obviously) has been
removed from a book or report or atlas, do you ever wonder what that larger
resource is?  Do you want to track down text related to the map or see the
context in which it was published?  Or when you are looking through a
dealer's catalog and are considering purchase of an expensive old map, if
the map wasn't issued separately and the dealer doesn't say what larger
resource the map has appeared in, do you hope to find a catalog record that
reveals the source of the map, which you might already own in your
collection?  How can cataloging records clearly convey this information?
Certain MARC fields and elements were introduced to display how resources
are related to each other and to provide links between the related
resources.  We want to figure out how to best use these and make an attempt
to apply them with some consistency.

Please take a look at the attached documents.  After reading them, please
think about these issues and send us your input by March 31, 2018.  Please
send it care of me at [log in to unmask]

We plan to finalize the report after getting input by March 31st.  Then we
hope to use the report as a basis for adding to the MAGIRT CCC RDA
cataloging "best practices" document.

With thanks for your time --
Nancy Kandoian, on behalf of the task force members
MAGIRT CCC Task Force on Linking Fields for Detached Maps

Nancy A. Kandoian
Map Cataloger
The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, Room 117
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue and 42nd Street
New York, New York 10018