From:
"Bigwood, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 2021 20:17:37 +0000
Many Lunar Orbiter photographs have been sent to our library due to our offsite storage closing. It appears we have several complete sets of missions II – V. Each mission has over 100 medium resolution photographs and over 300 high resolution images. Each is on glossy photographic paper and measures 20 x 24 inches.

Supporting documents and scans of the images are available at https://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/lunarorbiter/

Description at the National Space Science Data Center (NSSDC) https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/dataset/display.action?id=PSPG-00003

These are all available to anyone who could use a few images to fill some missing from their collection or as specimens of remote sensing history. If someone wanted entire missions, we would most likely ask for shipping costs. These are heavy.

Another LO imagery, that may be unique, is what appears to be early versions. They are 20 x 24 positives on matte paper. They have information on the image at the bottom of the print. I’ve attached a snap of both the final version and the early version, if that’s what it is. I have these for most, maybe all, the hi-res images. Are these something anyone could use? Once again heavy, so if you want entire missions we will most likely need shipping costs.

If you can’t use any, can you suggest anyone who might? We don’t have the room to house them. With us being closed, it is not an issue. But once we reopen and start holding meetings and interns it will be.

Thanks,

David Bigwood (he,him,his)

Planetary Image Facility, Library

Lunar and Planetary Institute