Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 1994 16:05:41 EST

Here we have been cataloguing our maps since 1984. At first we were entering
the data on UTLAS. Then in 1986, we switched to MINISIS Database Management
System. (Non-Marc). We are now in the process of changing system once again.
The system is INNOPAC. Being a Marc system, this will facilitate export of
our records. Our map series are kardexed and we provide one record per map
series in our catalogue. Some series must be fully or partly analysed and we
have many analytics on-line, though a major backlog exists. Monographic maps
are catalogued individually. Over the years, we have catalogued all the
world, north america, the polar regions, Canada and the United States. A
substantial amount of foreign maps are also catalogued as we catalogued new
maps when received in order to include them in our Map Accessions List.
We catalogued our maps according to the AACR 2 using the manual `Cartographic
materials' extensively. Our subject headings are bilingual. We used LCSH,
Laval, and various thesauri for the local headings.

I hope this will answer some of our questions and please feel free to contact
me further should you want more information.