From:
Jan Smits <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:14:39 EST
For the sake of preventing confusion it might be wise to make a
fundamental difference between bibliographic records and metadata
records. Though bibliographic records also are metadata this
means using the term metadata only in a general sense.

In The Netherlands we define a bibliographic records as "a
bibliographic description filed in a computer, whether or not
completed with features as regards to contents". At the same time
it usually means the records must conform to ISBD, AACR2 or
equivalent rules.

For spatial metadata I propose to use the current working
definition of the ICA Commission on the Transfer of Spatial Data:
"Metadata are data that describe the content, data definition and
structural representation, extent (both geographic and temporal),
spatial reference, quality, availability, status, and
administration of a geographic dataset".
This definition was adopted by the 1996 Summer-meeting of
aforementioned commission to which I was observer for the IFLA
Geography & Maplibrary Section.
For 'quality' the commission makes itself dependent on the
results of the studies of the ICA Data Quality Commission. (Also
CEN/TC 287 and ISO/TC 211 have special workgroups on defining
quality).

Having studied somewhat the American, Australian/New Zealand,
European, ISO standards, etc. I see good possibilities to extract
sufficient data from metadata descriptions to create
bibliographic records. Or, we can describe a given set
bibliographic and as metadata, giving access to different kinds
of users, and, if possible, hyperlinking records of bibliographic
and metadata databases.

However, there is a very fundamental difference pertaining to the
creator of the record. Having the above definitions in mind
bibliographic records are created primarily by centres of
documentation (libraries, etc.), while metadata records are meant
to be created by the producer of the digital spatial dataset.
This is because the standards for metadata are primarily
developed to facilitate the transfer to and applicability in
other systems than the one of the originator and the
interoperability of different datasets.

Of course we also have in mind the creation of clearinghouses for
spatial metadata and the derivative use for bibliographic
databases and the migration of digital spatial datasets (the
latter idea being studied by the American Commission on
Preservation and Access).

In our own practise in the Koninklijke Bibliotheek we describe
off-line spatial datasets (floppy's, CD-ROM's, etc.) as a
bibliographic record, just as any other cartographic material.
The difference is that we put in the physical description area
the extent of the dataset (e.g. 1 CD-ROM, 7 programme files
(112.5 Mb) and 238 datafiles (486 Mb)), try to circumscribe the
possibilities of the dataset in a contents-note and add system
demands). For further examples see
>http://www.konbib.nl/kb/skd/liber/articles/1meta-01.htm<

As for metadata descriptions we do not create any because the
National Clearinghouse is still in the planning stage (there are
some pilot projects) and there not yet a metadata standard, as we
await the European standard which is due in 1997. Besides we like
the producers to create these records as they have more technical
inside knowlegde than we do. Should I have a spatial dataset
which should be described by a metadata standard I would salt
this up for the moment and be satisfied with a bibliographic
description.

It is my belief that clearinghouses will not come on line so
quickly because the creation of a metadata database structure
with sophisticated search tools is a tricky thing, seen the
difficulties we have had and still have with our bibliographic
databases for traditional cartographic materials.
But I think it not wise to have one database which contains
bibliographic records as well as metadata records, because that
diminishes the efficient use of such a database (not enough or
too much retrieval and/or analyzing functions).

Just a few thoughts on the subject!

Jan Smits
Map Curator Koninklijke Bibliotheek, National Library of The
Netherlands
tel: +31 70 3140241
fax: +31 70 3140450
e-mail: [log in to unmask]